Healthy Tex Mex Casserole
I wanted to make something very yummy but secretly very healthy for my hubby! And this I must say was a great success! I even got a call the following day from him telling me how much he enjoyed the leftovers! Score!
This recipe is great and very versatile — you can use beef instead of chicken or go vegan and use vegan cheese like Daiya and top with a cashew cream!
For the Tex Mex Spice Blend:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika or ½ teaspoon regular paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 ¼ teaspoon fine grain Himalayan salt
¼ teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
For the Casserole:
1 pound chicken breast or ground beef
1 ½ teaspoons coconut oil
1 red onion
3 cloves garlic
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, seeded, if desired, and diced
Fine-grain Himalayan salt and ground black pepper
½ cup frozen or fresh corn
1 can diced tomatoes with their juices
1 cup tomato sauce or tomato puree
2 to 3 cups chopped kale, baby spinach spinach or blend
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
3 cans cooked wild rice blend or brown rice
3/4 cup shredded cheese
2 handfuls of tortilla chips crushed
Sliced green onions Diced Avocado Sour cream or cashew cream Salsa
Serves 6 Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes (plus rice cooking time) Gluten-Free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free
1. Make Tex Mex Spice Blend: in a small bowl combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and coriander (if using). Set it aside.
2. In a large wok or dutch oven, heat oil over medium. Add chicken or beef until cooked through. While cooking, preheat oven to 375°C.
3. Once chicken/beef is cooked through, remove and set aside. In same wok, add onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeño and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in chicken/beef, Tex Mex Spice Blend, corn, diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, kale/spinach, beans, cooked rice and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. Sauté for a few minutes and season again with salt and pepper if desired.
5. Pour mixture into casserole dish or keep in dutch oven and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips over the top of the casserole followed by the remaining half cup for cheese. Cover with lid or foil and bake for 15 minutes.
And voila! Yummy Mexican inspired goodness! Bueno!
This recipe was adapted by Crowd Pleasing Tex Mex Casserole by The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon